Wednesday, May 2, 2012

Black Bean and Couscous Salad with Day 10 of my Challenge

Day 10 of the clothing challenge! Nothin' special. I didn't wear a scarf or belt like I did this weekend. It is such a nice a flowy shirt which is nice when it's warm and you don't have air conditioning.

Ignore the pink face from using my blow-dryer and not having any make-up on.

I cooked a new recipe tonight! It was a success and something that made a crap ton of left overs... guess I'm be eating this for lunch for the next week or so! I did freeze some this time in hopes that I can eat other things this week.

Black Bean and Couscous Salad
Makes about 8 servings at only 4 WeightWatcher Points each







Gorgeous colors. As I was making this, I kept getting more and more excited because of all the fresh produce and colors!


I've never made couscous before. I expected it to be like rice but it's very different--don't be afraid about the amount of liquid to couscous. My advice for this recipe is to chop and prepare the onions, red pepper, and cilantro before you start making the couscous. Also, make sure you check on it 5 minutes after you take it off the heat because it's very hard to break it up if you leave it on for longer like I did.


Beautiful! You can serve it right away or put it in the refrigerator. You don't even need to heat up to eat--just serve!



I ran out of my single serving bowls so one is a double serving. It really does make 8 servings!


So excited about this recipe. It's perfect for summer and it's tasty! The red peppers aren't overwhelming, they add the perfect crunch to the salad. The green onions add a tiny bit of kick but not anything where it takes over the taste. It's wonderful. Now I just have an overabundance of cilantro to deal with.

Before I sign off for the night, I wanted to tell you about my trip to the grocery store. I got in line and waited my turn. As I stood there a college aged/just out of college aged guy got in line behind me and started to unload. My load included almost everything in the first picture. His load included: frozen pizza, oatmeal creme pies, multiple hostess donuts (single servings), brats, loaf of bread, and other assorted hostess products. Men and women are very different...

P.S. If you haven't been reading, check out my sister's blog. She's an amazing writer!

4 comments:

  1. Haha, I was expecting to read ....and he looked like a model with six pack abs....

    This looks really good! I'll let you know if I have any promising recipes with cilantro.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I bet all he needs to do to work off those hostess donuts is walk home from the bar!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the cilantro idea Christie! http://www.myrecipes.com/recipe/tilapia-tacos-with-peach-relish-10000001215932/ It's only 6 points too--not too shabby!

    So true Kate, so damn true...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your outfit was darling and the salad looks perfect for the warm weather that is coming. I'll have to try this one.

    ReplyDelete