Spinach is nice to add to salads but I like to mix it with other greens. So I'm left with an entire bag of spinach that always seems to go bad before I can use it all. This week has been spinach week--I think spinach is the only thing keeping me from going crazy with the end of the school year upon us. (Portfolios below... 9 total crates.)
Today I've used 8 1/2 cups of delicious spinach. And not in salads! Here's how:
Green Monster Smoothie
4 (8 oz.) servings at 3 WW points each
4 cups loosely packed spinach
1 1/2 cups orange juice
1 ripe banana
2 cups frozen fruit (any combo but steer clear of darker colored fruits as they will turn the smoothie brown. I used a tropical blend with pineapple, mango, etc.)
Put in blender in that order and blend for a minute. More if there are still chunks.
| Look at the beautiful green! TMNT Smoothie! |
| I'm selfish and took two servings, so my smoothie is 6 WW points but so worth it. |
How did I use the other 4 1/2 cups of spinach?! I'm sure you're all sitting on the edge of your seat. ;-)
4 Servings at 6 WW
I won't type the recipe but you can click the link and try it out for yourself. It was delicious but I will note that it says to use salt and lemon juice as a garnish. Be careful with the lemon juice. I found less was more. I would make it again and if I was very hungry, grilled chicken would be a nice touch. OR I think it'd be fun to make pizza with the pesto sauce. Maybe with cauliflower pizza crust, chicken, pesto sauce, and mozzarella! That sounds AMAZING! I wonder how many WW points... let's try making this this summer Kate! We can even watch KITH while we're eating!
Oh summer. I'm going to have SO MUCH FUN! I've been working very hard every day. Thursday at 4pm I have to have my grades in and I should be "checked" out of my room. Then I have grad school that Saturday. THEN I'm going to sleep! Or maybe I'll go out on a date or two. ;-)
One last thing: with short, curly hair it's hard to get it out of my face. I found a really nice way to put it "up".
| Ignore the mess on the kitchen table. It's all my grading I'm working on. Ugh. |
| OK, it took a ridiculous amount of bobby pins to hold down the shorter curls but when I do this again, I'll do a better job of "hiding" them. |
Omg, best post to-date!!! Pete and I made the spinach pesto pasta just the other week with chicken! It was good, but a little bland. Next time more garlic and more seasoning! I'm so making myself a smoothie tonight! Going shopping and picking up frozen fruit now!
ReplyDeleteOH! And I'm so pleased that WW is going so well for you! It's seriously the best program out there! If you actually want to keep the weight off, that is!
And I'm glad you've got someone nice to text! :-D
Can't wait to meet him!
Instead of using fresh garlic (which I didn't have) I used garlic powder. Maybe that makes a difference? I'm glad you're going to make a smoothie! I had one earlier this afternoon when I was hungry and I felt full after it! I also had two servings though.
DeleteI'm really loving WW--it's doable and I don't feel like I'm giving anything up. If anything I'm adding so much more into my diet!
P.S. I'm all smiles from tonight's texts. I've been entertaining him with lame pick-up lines like: "Hrm... I can't seem to spell stud without U!" Lol. Let me know if you think of any good ones. :-)
AND your new up-do is super adorable!
ReplyDeleteI'm totally going out to buy spinach and am going to make that smoothie. It looks so good!! Also the pesto pasta looks good too. Now that I have all this extra time on my hands, I'm going to be doing more cooking I think!
ReplyDeleteLove the cute hair do! It will be nice when it gets a little longer and all fits into a pony! I'm sure you miss the ease of that. Good luck on the grading...hope you get a lot done tonight!
Grading is going well, slow but well. Miss you! Have Geoff try a Green Monster Smoothie and see if he likes it better than his. :-)
Delete