Wednesday, April 25, 2012

Pringles and Capri-Sun (With Day Three)

I'm bribing children to do their homework and it's working. I've been pestering a kid all year to care about their education. Lately we've been bumping heads and I finally was so exasperated that I informed them that I think I care about their education more then they do. I encouraged them to change it and found out that this last quarter really made them feel like nothing they did would help and they would always do poorly. I told them I would do anything and everything I could do to help--all they needed to do was come hang out after school and I would help them get their homework done. Finally, I said I would even go buy snacks for them. They've come in twice so far. No missing work so far this quarter and we're two and a half weeks in!

I know the pronouns I'm using makes this sound like more than one kid, but it's actually one. I just don't want to get specific about them on here but I had to say something because I'm really excited! I think we can turn things around.

Anyway, today was day three of my clothing challenge. I had a hard time deciding what to wear because I never know if I'm going to be hot or cold, or whatever. Oh the joys of teaching in an old school without air-conditioning. I finally decided on this outfit--a favorite of mine.


Today I stopped by the gas station to get something for our potluck tomorrow (I'm being suzy homemaker and bringing Diet Coke... no one ever thinks to bring something to drink) and the lady at the register asked me about my hair. She asked if I curled it or had a perm. It's funny but usually I'm asked, "Is that natural?" It was new to not have been given an option of having natural curls. I was thinking about my hair after that. When I straighten my hair, men usually take notice or me more but when I have curly hair, women tend to compliment me. I think it's so strange.

2 comments:

  1. I covet that shirt!

    I think it's awesome that you're starting to make some headway with that student! You're so persistent, and someday that kid will look back and be very grateful that you took an interested in his/her success. Way to use junk food in a positive way! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the clothes challenge and the pictures. Keep it up cuz it's fun for me! and we all know it's all about me :)

    ReplyDelete