Last night, Nik and I went to Buca de Beppo for one of his friend's birthdays. It was a group of people that are (almost) all actors. It was highly entertaining. I chatted cameras with a fellow photographer. She was a bit of a "camera snob" and scoffed when she heard I'd done weddings with a D40. I didn't let it phase me at the time but afterwards I was thinking about it and I'm really proud of the fact that I've done weddings on such a "small time" camera. The photographer makes the photos, not the camera. Yes, to some extent you need to have a camera that has the capabilities for you to control certain elements but the composition and "feel" of the photo come from the person taking the photograph.
So screw that. My D40 rocks--I don't care what anyone says.
Being a good photographer means...
...getting babies to stop crying:
...having a GOOD rapport with the subjects so...:
![]() |
| ...they'll be comfortable with you being very, very close. |
![]() |
| ...they'll feel comfortable being goofy with you. |
...using surroundings that will add to the photograph:
![]() |
| Also capturing the "in between" photos! |


















I love this post so much! And I want you to get back into photography! I miss visiting your Flickr account and seeing new pretties!
ReplyDeleteI want to sort of re-do our engagement photos since I really don't like the way I look in them. Would you be willing to take marry-ment photos for us this spring/summer?