*For the sake of this story I am creating a fake name and not specifying gender.
I chewed out Pat today. I was so disappointed because Pat was supposed to bring me a letter of apology for wasting time in the computer lab yesterday. We called home to both parents and you're darn right that I made Pat take the phone and explain why were were calling. Pat ended the second phone call with "I hate my life." Ha!
Pat's parents will be making Pat catch up on all work over break. I created a packet (during my prep when I could have been grading or planning) and included every assignment that Pat was missing. I know for a FACT that I have given Pat these papers at least twice before. Sigh... those poor trees.
I told Pat that he/she has NO idea how lucky he/she is that they have so many people in their life that care about them. That it sucks right now that he/she has to spend the entire break working on missing work but some day he/she will realize it was for his/her own good.
Anyway, after this run-in happened I was venting to the computer lab lady (saying that I'm tired of caring more about some student's educations then they do) and a different student heard me talking to her. That student came up to me and said, "It's OK to care about people. You are doing a great job."
OK. That was fricken awesome.
Labels
Teaching
(30)
Weight Watchers
(13)
cooking
(13)
Running
(12)
Clothing Challenge
(11)
Food
(10)
Clothes
(8)
Photography
(8)
family
(6)
Exercising
(5)
Reading
(5)
weight loss
(5)
Hair
(4)
Puppies
(4)
Apple Products
(3)
Camping
(3)
DIY
(3)
Shoes
(3)
Travel
(3)
Anne Frank
(2)
BWCA
(2)
Canoeing
(2)
Christmas
(2)
Half-Marathon
(2)
Movies
(2)
90s
(1)
Boundary Waters
(1)
Bucket List
(1)
Hunger Games
(1)
MarchSelfie
(1)
cats
(1)
flash mob
(1)
iPad
(1)
iPod
(1)
Just when you're about to throw in the towel, some kid goes and does or says something meaningful and wonderful and it helps you keep on trucking! Don't forget how awful it was to be that age and that you probably had days when you hated your life too. You were just blessed with a twin to help you put things in perspective and awesome parents.
ReplyDeleteGet refreshed this break so you can go back and continue to be the stellar caring teacher that I know you are.