Monday, January 7, 2013

And so the Portfolios Begin...

If you remember a post in June, I had nine crates of portfolios to grade. It took me about eighty hours to grade them all. I almost went insane. Guess what? I had my students start working on them! It takes them nine months to complete but they are SO worth it. It's a great assignment because I learn much about my students, the kids enjoy making them, and it's a great anthology of their eighth grade year. Students in my district have even put their portfolios out at graduation!

The hardest part about portfolios--aside from grading all of them--is keeping all the materials organized. When you have 150 students, it can become a mess--and fast! Here's what I did:

In one corner of the room I keep all the materials like markers, rulers, scissors, stencils, etc.

This is my pride a joy. I spent FOREVER organizing the stickers.

You'll notice all the letter stickers are organized by color. My kids were VERY impressed when I showed them and they even said "Wow, thank you (for spending time doing all this)!"

All the boxes of binders... so many binders and page protectors... ugh.

In five months... this will be my main focus in life. Is it June 5th yet??
They print all their papers on pretty color and boarder paper.

Thank God I have an old art room for a classroom. :-)

2 comments:

  1. I seriously think that part of the portfolio project should be grading each others' portfolios! Teach them how to edit! Then you just swoop in and agree or disagree with their reviews!

    Or, you make them finish their portfolios in February. Srsly.

    Love how organized you are, you big nerd.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are an organization nerd...I love it and you do your dad proud! Agree with Katie about some peer review/grading to save some time. Also give extra credit for early completion!

    ReplyDelete