Tuesday, December 11, 2012

DIY - Ruffled Tree Skirt

Ermehgerd guys. I spent WAY too much time on this Christmas tree skirt when I should have been correcting papers. In fact, I still have papers to correct but here I am. Blogging. :-) For you Kate.



I enjoyed making this skirt because it was ridiculously easy. I went to the fabric store and purchased two yards of burlap and two yards of red fabric. You want the fabric to be pretty sturdy because you're going to be hot gluing it. I cut the two fabrics into strips (about 2.5-3 inches wide x 2 yards long). Worrying about cutting the strips into perfect lines will only drive you nuts. You want to make them as straight as possible but don't worry your pretty little heads about it.



I used my old tree skirt to apply the strips of fabric on. It was fairly simple, I laid down a row of glue about 2-3 inches long and then folded the strip back about a half inch to create a ruffled effect. Just keep gluing. I used a lot of glue. (More than 30 sticks!)



I think the end product was beautiful... there are those that think some white fabric would make it better but they would be wrong. :-)

2 comments:

  1. Totally cute! How clever of you and it is so unique!! I can believe that you went through the glue sticks though. Anyway, congratulations on a project well done!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Abbie, that looks amazing! I bet it took a while, though! You did a great job getting the ruffles to be uniform!

    Now. Where's my gift under your tree?

    ReplyDelete