Monday, May 20, 2013

The Bucket List

Every year for my portfolio project my students are expected to create three lists of 100 items. There is a likes, dislikes, and (the dreaded) bucket list. My students whine and complain about having to come up with 100 items to do before they die. They're given nine months to complete this task, so they have enough time to come up with 100 items. I decided that because there's so much complaining about this list that I had better sit down and write 100 items that I would like to do before I "kick the bucket." Honestly, I think it should be pretty easy to do, but who knows, maybe I'll be singing a different tune when I'm finished. When I show my students my example, I have written only about 10 things. 90 to go.
  1. Finish Bucket List
  2. Go to New Orleans
  3. Go to San Francisco
  4. Go to New York
  5. Go to Rome, Italy
  6. Go to Paris, France
  7. Go to Iceland
  8. Visit a concentration camp
  9. See the Secret Annex in Amsterdam
  10. Finish my masters
  11. See what all the fuss is about Utah
  12. Move back to the Twin Cities
  13. Live in another state
  14. Visit every continent
  15. Go to Hawaii
  16. See the Dixie Chicks live
  17. Visit the Grand Canyon
  18. Go to the bottom of the Grand Canyon
  19. Run a half marathon
  20. Run a marathon
  21. Go to Germany
  22. Go to Greece
  23. Go to Spain
  24. Go to Thailand
  25. Go back to China
  26. Go to Washington, D.C.
  27. Go to Boston, MA
  28. Go to Seattle, WA
  29. Organize my digital photos
  30. Scuba dive
  31. Go to Australia
  32. See the Great Barrier Reef
  33. Buy a house
  34. Read Dune
  35. Read the Game of Thrones series
  36. Meet J.K. Rowling and get a signed book
  37. Meet Lois Lowry and get a signed book
  38. Get a puppy
  39. Train the puppy well
  40. Go on a cruise
  41. Go to England
  42. Go to Ireland
  43. Go on an Alaskan cruise
  44. Teach overseas
  45. Learn how to do a Salchow or Axel jump in figure skating
  46. See the Northern Lights
  47. Go to the winter Olympics
  48. Go paddle boarding
  49. See the Statue of Liberty
  50. See the Eiffel Tower
  51. See the pyramids
  52. See a whale
  53. Go to India
  54. Go to the Boundary Waters
  55. Walk the Great Wall of China
  56. Go to Niagara Falls
  57. Run a 5k
  58. Become a teacher
  59. Get my reading license
  60. Be a maid of honor
  61. Fly somewhere
  62. Take a trip on a train
  63. Marriage??
  64. If 63: kids??
  65. Hear a Holocaust survivor tell their story
  66. Go rock climbing
  67. Figure out how to make better use of my prep
  68. Go in the ocean
  69. Learn American Sign Language
  70. Purchase a car of my choosing
  71. Pay off my student loans
  72. Finish grading the portfolios
  73. Go on a safari
  74. See the Great Wall of China again
  75. Pay off my credit card bills
  76. Perfect my creme brulee
  77. Do the Polar Plunge
  78. Become a better runner
  79. See New York at Christmas and go ice skating
  80. Learn how to cook Thanksgiving dinner
  81. See Stephan Colbert's show live
  82. Learn how to play tennis
  83. Go zorbing
  84. Go sailing
  85. Spend the night on a boat
  86. Get better at yoga
  87. Get a teaching job in the Twin Cities
  88. Go to Hogwarts in Orlando, FL
  89. See Stonehenge
  90. Learn to snowboard
  91. Get better at snowboarding
  92. Learn to ski
  93. Be in a flash mob
  94. Have a photograph of mine published
  95. Find out the trouble with boys (in education)
  96. Change the course of someone's life (in a positive way)
  97. Get better at archery
  98. Drive my Saturn into the ground
  99. Quit teaching before burnout
  100. Read more

 My thoughts at 50: OK... this is hard. I've started to really pay attention to my student's lists to get ideas.  

Oy! I did alright until about 80 and then I got stuck. This list took me at least three weeks to create but at least I give my students almost nine months to create theirs.

Could you come up with 100? It's hard!

5 comments:

  1. Maybe you should consider making it a list of 25 things so that the choices still have meaning for them. That way it can be a real bucket list that they may change from time to time as they mature.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is a great idea! I kind of want to try it!! My thought: 13 = BOOOOO!!! 16 = Yes!!!! 19 & 20 = YAY!!!! 63 & 64 = are you crazy?? Of course you're going to do those. This is YOU we're talking about. Nix the question marks!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You need to update your bucket list! You can check off a bunch!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dear Abbie,

    Please update your bucket list.
    Love, Mom

    ReplyDelete