Maybe I would be a better blogger if I did a weekly update. I cannot commit to writing daily like some people. :-) But I also write my blog for different reasons (solely for the purpose up updating those who care about my life). Let's see how well this works.
February is a difficult month. Those who know me well will think I mean because my father's birthday and death day fall into this horrid, short month. Although they are right, there's also something else going on around this time of year.
Students. are. driving. me. to. drink.
I don't know what it is about this time of year but the last two weeks have been so frustrating. I cannot do enough. I feel so incredible overwhelmed at the needs of some of these children. I find myself having a hard time keeping my emotions in and not exploding because I was asked, "What are we doing today?!" by twenty children before class has even started. "LEAVE ME ALONE! I promise I'll tell the ENTIRE class in the first few seconds of class what we're doing!" Then when I don't tell them because I'm trying to get out of my room so I can do hallway duty, they get an attitude with me. Oh, you BEST not have rolled your eyes at me! So I have to spend time addressing that rude behavior instead of getting out and doing other responsibilities I have.
It's so much more than all this. Teachers are expected to do so much that it is extremely draining. I have to teach morals and etiquette. I have to talk to students about goal setting and bullying. I have to check in with them for their missing work and I need to be able to give information on any student at any given time (How's their writing? Reading? Behavior? Uhhhhh.... I have a 180 students.... let me get back to you on that.) Class sizes are huge and needs are great. We don't have enough paraprofessional support because we don't have the money. I'm in debt up to my ears because I'm trying to become a better teacher and make a decent living. I came into the profession knowing I wouldn't get paid very much and I have accepted that, but I also came into the profession with the understanding that being a teacher is a well respected profession. This has not been the case. I'm exhausted because teachers are constantly getting attacked and our budgets keep getting slashed. There is only so much of my own money I can put into my classroom.
Nik sent me an article today about how teachers' job satisfaction has declined 23% since 2008. Honestly, I agree completely. What will the future be if this continues to decline? We're going to lose good teachers... and I'm afraid eventually I might be one of them. I'm not saying I'm leaving the teaching profession right now, but I don't want to work this hard for the rest of my life. I want to have more to my life than just work.
I attribute this to February. Things will start looking up in two weeks when I start my Anne Frank unit. I love teaching about the Holocaust.
*Side note* Even though some students are driving me insane with their behaviors this time of year. I do have many that are making my job worth it. These are the students that I get excited to teach each day.
Things that make me happy:
Labels
Teaching
(30)
Weight Watchers
(13)
cooking
(13)
Running
(12)
Clothing Challenge
(11)
Food
(10)
Clothes
(8)
Photography
(8)
family
(6)
Exercising
(5)
Reading
(5)
weight loss
(5)
Hair
(4)
Puppies
(4)
Apple Products
(3)
Camping
(3)
DIY
(3)
Shoes
(3)
Travel
(3)
Anne Frank
(2)
BWCA
(2)
Canoeing
(2)
Christmas
(2)
Half-Marathon
(2)
Movies
(2)
90s
(1)
Boundary Waters
(1)
Bucket List
(1)
Hunger Games
(1)
MarchSelfie
(1)
cats
(1)
flash mob
(1)
iPad
(1)
iPod
(1)
Thursday, February 21, 2013
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Teaching like any job has its ups and downs and its politics but just hang in there. February is almost over and you're on the downhill side of the school year. Glad you remember how good some of your students make you feel about what you do. Always be a silver lining person and that will get you through the tough spots.
ReplyDelete