Two weekends ago I had a weekend full of books! It was my first visit to Wild Rumpus in Minneapolis. It's such a fun (children's) book store! They've got animals roaming around as you peruse the books. I picked up a few books for my classroom because I just couldn't help myself. My students have been LOVING the Amulet series. It's a great series to have because kids love graphic novels and the Lexile is low. It's hard to find good books for middle schoolers who need a lower reading level. The book Smile just came out with a new sequel called Drama so I picked up both of those.
Even though the book store was very fun, the following day I went to St. Thomas to hear Lois Lowry talk about her new book Son. Nik had pre-ordered the book for me (because he's amazing) and it came with two tickets to go see Lois Lowry. I wish I would've brought a notepad and taken notes. She was fascinating to listen to. A natural story teller--in person and on the page. If you've never heard of her, PLEASE check out The Giver. It's WONDERFUL. Hands-down, my favorite book. I get to teach it to my eighth graders every spring. I couldn't end the year with my students on a better note. Also, she signed my book! (Geeking out!)
In other news, I've been cooking more! I didn't do much over the summer because I wasn't home very often. I've been educating Nik about good, wholesome Minnesotan food. Or, in other words, the food I grew up on. If you know anything about my family, you've probably heard what an amazing cook my father was. I've been making a few recipes and each time I cook something my father used to make, I get very sentimental. Cooking makes me miss my dad but I think it brings me closer to him.
This weekend I made beef stroganoff. I'd give you the recipe but then I'd have to kill you. Personally, I believe that this recipe was one of the reasons why Pete wanted to marry my sister, Kate, so badly. ;-) I kid, I kid. (Happy one year wedding anniversary, you two!) I know my cousin, Christie, has made this in the crock pot and I think I might have to give that a try some time.
Tonight, for the first time, I made stir-fry! It was surprisingly easy. After the beef was in a marinade (mostly oil, cornstarch, salt, sugar, soy sauce, and pepper) for 24 hours, I threw in asparagus, pea pods, green onions, chopped ginger and garlic, oyster sauce, and some chicken broth. The beauty of stir-fry is that you can throw in so many different things and it'll turn out delicious. I got my stir-fry pan from Ikea a few years back for $5! It's a great meal to make.
glad you're using those wonderful recipes and trying new ones. It makes dad smile I'm sure. How does Nik like the recipes?
ReplyDeleteSo far he's been very impressed with everything I've made--even when I made a simple meal of chicken breasts, asparagus, and rice! The good thing is that he likes to help in the kitchen! :-)
ReplyDeleteOk, the stir fry sounds impressive. We never ever have our shit together enough to marinade our meat beforehand. And we totally use frozen veggies. Every time. And store bought stir fry sauce. Dad would be so appalled!
ReplyDelete