So running has been fun... not. I've been getting shin splints and it's been very painful. I was hoping it would go away and tried to "run through it" but that just resulted in needing to ice my shins when I hobbled back home. (I seem to do a lot of hobbling as of late--sheesh.) When I went to
WebMD to look up shin splints, I found out I was doing more harm than good. I found out that shin splints are very common, they cause about 13% of all running injuries. More importantly, you need to wait (impatiently) for your shins to heal before you get back to your activity.
 |
| A photo of my shins after the BWCA trip--they've been taking a beating! |
If you've never had shin splints before it's located in the front (your shins). I feel mine along both sides of the bone... more so on the inside. It's usually a dull, aching pain while I'm exercising but when I continued to run it started to become constant.
 |
The right foot is "overpronating."
It means your feet curve in. |
Since Kate and I have the
Warrior Dash coming up, I wanted to get back on track so I did some research and went to the Running Store. I found out I overpronate. Ankle and arch support are needed in my running shoes.
 |
| The old Nikes. |
 |
| The new Asics. A HUGE difference. |
I really hope they help you continue to train! Might be a good idea to take a few days off from running leading up to the race!
ReplyDeleteglad you checked it out and got the appropriate shoes. It will help as you continue to train. Smart girl!
ReplyDelete